Dimitrios Serpanos has been a member of IEEE and the IEEE Computer Society since 1981. He became a Senior Member in 1996.
Dimitrios is Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Patras and President of the Computer Technology Institute & Press “DIOPHANTUS.” He has held leadership positions in Universities and research organizations in both public and private sectors, including serving as President of a University (University of Western Greece) and as Director of a research institute for two terms (Industrial Systems Institute/ATHENA). He has been working on embedded computing and cyber-physical systems for almost three decades and on cybersecurity for more than two decades. His work experience appears here.
Currently, he is Chair of the ARTEMIS Scientific Council, an advisory council that supports the ARTEMIS Industry Association, which is the association for actors in Embedded Intelligent Systems in Europe. A main goal of the Scientific Council is to advise the ARTEMIS Steering Board in all matters related to science and medium- to long-term developments in programmes and projects relevant to the association.
Since 2017, he is a member of the Board of Governors of the IEEE Computer Society, working towards:
- strengthening activities in areas where other non-engineering bodies are taking lead, e.g. IoT
- increasing activities with other IEEE societies as well as collaboration with other non-IEEE organizations
- fostering open access
- supporting young engineers with interdisciplinary technical and career development programs
- contributing to the effective operations and financial health of the Computer Society
Based on his experience as President of the University of Western Greece and as Director of the Industrial Systems Institute for several years, he has been contributing to effective and streamlined governance and to the financial strength of the Society. Importantly, he is serving as Secretary of the Board of Governors in 2020, while he served as Treasurer in 2019. Notably, in 2019, the IEEE Computer Society achieved a record-breaking financial return after several years, implementing a disciplined budget execution and restructuring Society’s assets.
Dimitrios initiated a new Special Technical Committee (STC) at IEEE Computer Society on Smart and Circular Cities. This new STC provides a strong opportunity for IEEE CS to promote the activities of its members in a significant and emerging application domain. The interdisciplinary nature of the domain enables collaboration with other IEEE societies as well as other organizations internationally, such as the ARTEMIS industry association.
In 2018, Dimitrios introduced and is editing a column in IEEE Computer on “CPS in Control,” addressing challenges in the area of cyber-physical systems and their applications. This effort, in addition to activities of the STC on Smart and Circular Cities and recent publications provide a basis of content that he seeks to promote for technical development programs at the Computer Society.
As a member of the Board of Governors (2017-2020), Dimitrios held/holds the following positions:
- IEEE Computer Society, Board of Governors, Secretary (2020)
- IEEE Computer Society, Board of Governors, Treasurer (2019)
- IEEE Computer Society, Board of Governors, Member (2017-2020)
- IEEE CEDA, Board of Governors, Member (2019-2020) — Representative of IEEE CS
- IEEE Computer Society, Finance Committee, Chair (2019)
- IEEE Computer Society, Finance Committee, Member (2020)
- IEEE Computer Society, Executive Committee, Member (2019-2020)
- IEEE Computer Society, Constitution & Bylaws Committee, Member (2018-2019)
- IEEE Computer Society, Planning Committee, Member (2019)
- IEEE Computer Society, Nomination Committee, Member (2019)
- IEEE Computer Society, Publications Board, Member (2017-2018)
He has also served as
- IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Committee on Factory Automation – Subcommittee on Security in Industrial Communication and Embedded Systems, Chair (2008-2010).
- IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Committee on Factory Automation – Subcommittee on Security in Industrial Communication and Embedded Systems, Member (2010-2015).
Through the years, he has been very active academically and, as a result, volunteering in a large number of IEEE conferences of the Computer Society as well as other societies (mainly Communications, Industrial Electronics and Circuits and Systems). He has been General Chair of four (4) conferences (ISSPIT 2005-2011-2013, ICESS 2009), Track Chair in three (3) conferences (INDIN 2010-2011-2013), TPC Chair in six (6) conferences (ICIT’2012, ISADS’2009, ETFA’2007, ISSPIT’2003, ICDCS/ADSN’2003, ICDCS/ADSN’2002) and TPC member in more than 60 conferences, notably a TPC member of the IEEE Conference on Local Area Networks for 23 years (1998-2020). He is also a founding organizer (and Chair) of the IEEE/ACM ESWEEK Workshop on Embedded Systems Security (2006-2015).
Dimitrios is a member of the Editorial Board of IEEE Computer, the flagship publication of the IEEE Computer Society since 2018, editing the column CPS in Control. He has also served as Associate Editor in IEEE Transactions of Industrial Informatics (2007-2019) and the ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems (2003-2016). He has guest edited several special issues for IEEE journals (Proceedings of IEEE, IEEE Embedded Systems Letters and IEEE Network).
For his volunteering work, he has received the following IEEE distinctions, in addition to recognition awards in various conferences:
- Golden Core Award, IEEE Computer Society (2017).
- IEEE Computer Society Award: Certificates of Appreciation (1998, 2009, 2018 and 2019).